Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Previous Evening

Last night I went out after a long day at work. I was already tired. I fear that it was obvious. I must admit, because I find this to be a character flaw. When I am tired, I become extra cynical, uncomfortable in public, and just a shell of myself. I don't defend the way I become, and if I could put on the guise of my normal self, I would. It really is quite unfortunate, because I felt like a wet blanket all night long.

We went to Moni's, an Italian restaurant that had been highly recommended. It was good. I can't rant about it, 1) because the dish I ordered was unspectacular - it was shrimp, pasta, lemon butter and garlic. I should have ordered something different. 2) Italian food from anywhere generally doesn't impress me. It is the kind of food that everyone probably has a preference of restaurant before hand, and will thus be cynical toward any other (though my cynical mood was quite enhanced, as I have pointed out). I mean, my favorites are still Piccollo Mondo and Siciliano's. Those two are my treats for Italian cuisine. It would be a lot to break that.

But still, Moni's was very good. It was a nice atmosphere, very friendly service and good food. I shall have to return, and pick a better dish with which to judge them, such as, perhaps, canneloni.

From there I was taken to a pet shop - not the large, pet megamart type place, such as Petsmart, rather the smaller, more traditional, puppy mill supporting establishment. When I found where we were going, my heart sank. These places are horrible. They procure their animals from irreputable breeders who keep their animals in detestable conditions. Entering the store was like walking into a youth AIDS ward. The puppies were in small cages, with no flooring to protect their sensitive feet. They were given water via a hamster bottle (the larger golden retriever was lapping thirstily for quite a while). These are not happy places, and, in my opinion, the industry should be much more strictly regulated.

From here, we went to retrieve a movie from the house of one of our party. It was quite an experience, though I fear I may have made it more of one than it ought to have been. Oh well. No big deal, I suppose.

We then went to see Cade at Starbucks, who was wearing his new, GQ clothing. He looked very nice. I considered once dressing up more for work, though I decided not to. I get too dirty and nasty during work to wear nice clothes - I would prefer comfort over looks while there, and save the looks for later.

We finally went to watch the movie, Amelie, which I have detailed earlier. It was so very good, though I need to watch it several more times to absorb it better. We also went to purchase the new Harry Potter book (which I have started, it is already intriguing).

3 times along this journey, strange events took place. They involved bubbles. I was quite perplexed by the whole thing. Perhaps it was the mood brought on by my being tired, but I just didn't understand the whole thing. I felt like a wet blanket here more than any other time, which was quite sad. I wanted to enjoy the bubbles as others did.....but they were bubbles. I've seen them many, many times. The fact that they were streaming out of a car window did not change that they were bubbles. I feel sad that I couldn't enjoy them, as though I am missing a simple life pleasures that all others recognize, but not the callous Shelby. Oh well, I suppose I should prepare for other such disappointments and cherish those pleasures that I can grasp.

Anyhow, I then came home, got online for just a moment, and went to bed. Rather uneventful evening, but for some reason it was significant to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home