Sunday, July 17, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

After my friend's wedding shower, a group of us went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I had high hopes for the movie. I am a fan of both Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the movie from 1971) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the book by Roald Dahl. All three of the latter mentioned works are terrific.

But not the new movie. It was utterly disappointing. It failed to provoke laughter, the story was choppy, and it was full of Burton stylization, but lacked depth. It looked nice, but just didn't make a good movie.

Further, I expected a stricter adaptation from the book, something that I would recognize as Dahl. Whatever the atrocity I saw on screen tonight was, I have never read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home